Saturday, April 14, 2018

A Private Castle Viewing....

"7029 'Clun Castle, 5043 'Earl of Mount Edgcumbe' & 5080 'Defiant' "
Hi all. Today saw me take a trip to Tyseley to the former 84E at Tyseley Locomotive works. The reason for my visit was that Tyseley Locomotive works were holding a private steaming of newly overhauled No7029 "Clun Castle". This would be the first time I've visited Tyseley Loco work in 3 years since my last visit back in July 2014 when I went to see 5972 "Olton Hall". Aka "Hogwarts Castle". The event would also see me joined by my good friends David Moyle, Kevin Poole and Phil Clarke. 
My journey to Tyseley started at 09:21am when I caught the 09:21am Cross Country Service into Birmingham New Street from Burton on Trent. I soon arrived at New Street and walked the 5 minute walk between New Street and Moor Street Stations. On arrival at Moor Street, I walked for the 10:45am service to Tyseley via Small Heath. Before long the train arrived worked by a Ex London Midland 2 car 172 Turbostar Unit. I soon settled down for my journey to Tyseley. Soon we departed on our way to Tyseley, and before long as we approached, a small plume of smoke could be seen appearing from Tyseley Locomotive Works, which was 7029 'Clun Castle' as we arrived into Tyseley.
"Anyone want a Castle? "
I got of the train and hung around on the station till 11:48am for my good friend David Moyle to arrive, who had travelled down from the North West. Whilst waiting I was able to grab a quick photo of a passenger Cross Country Trains 220 Voyager which passed through Tyseley Platform 1. At 11:48am, David's train could be seen in the distance as it arrived on Platform 1. I walked into the footbridge and stood waiting him, Before long we were following the stream of other people towards Tyseley Locomotive works. Now as I've mentioned already in this post, I've visited Tyseley Locomotive Works on more than one occasion, but its always nice to be greeted by the friendly faces of Vintage Trains Stewards who myself and my girlfriend Jenny are very good friends with. Having showed our tickets to the stewards on the gate. We went into the site and were greeted with 7029 'Clun Castle', 5043 'Earl of Mount Edgcumbe' and 5080 'Defiant' sanding side by side around the turntable. 
After taking plenty of photos of the engines sat side by side. 7029 was moved to sit nose to nose with 5043. Which did look like that 5043 and 7029 were trying to kiss. Which I did find rather amusing so of course I couldn't not take a photo.
"Kissing Castles. "
It wasn't long before Kevin Poole and Phil Clarke joined us and came for a chat. I was also lucky enough to meet a fellow YouTuber by the name of SYKAROST, who also filmed the event. I'll put a link in at the bottom of this post for their YouTube Channels. After taking photos of 7029 and 5043. I wandered into the workshops to see progress with 4936 'Kinlet Hall' and to see if I could find 9600 and 4965 'Rood Ashton Hall'. To which I found both engines.
 "4965's cab view. "
The last time I had seen 9600, she was paired with 9466 on 'The Valley Rambler' tour to Bridgnorth, back in November 2017. As for 4936 'Kinlet Hall' The last time I had seen her, she didn't quite look in the state she was on today's visit. I had seen 4936 at Severn Valley Railway back in April 2013.
Before I left the workshops and sheds to head back out side. I manged to get a quick photo of 9600, 71000 'Duke of Gloucester' which at the time of writing is currently undergoing a 10 year overhaul and 34070 'Manston' who I had seen at Great Central Railway back in October 2013. Sadly last year 34070 was involved in a slow speed shunting accident and was at Tyseley for repairs. 
 "71000 'Duke of Gloucester'. "
Having spent a bit of time in the workshops and sheds, myself, David and Kevin wandered back out side and I got one last shot of 7029 before 
 "34070 'Manston'. "
Whilst outside again taking photos and video clips of 7029, I caught up again with Brian (SYKAROST) for a quick chat. Before we were joined by Ben Mason from Vintage Trains Ltd. After a lengthy chat, I said good bye to them and went over to speak to David to say good bye, but of course I wasn't gonna get away without a quick photo. With thanks to David for allowing me to use his photo he took of me at Tyseley. I said good bye to David and headed back to Tyseley Station to wait for my train back to Birmingham New Street.
"Caught on Camera!!" (Pic - D.Moyle)
Its time to wrap up and I'd like to thank David Moyle, Kevin Poole, Phil Clarke and Brian for their company throughout the afternoon whilst at Tyseley. Below are the links to the following YouTube Channels.
David Moyles Channel - Click here
Phil Clarke's Channel - Click here
Brian's Channel - Click here
Above is the link to my video from today's event. Once again thanks for a fantastic day all of you. And thanks again to all my readers of this Blog. Thanks all. Jake...

No comments:

Post a Comment