Sunday, August 19, 2018

BMES: A Speedy Day...

"Lighting up Speedy"
Hi all. Today saw me pay another visit to the Burton Model Engineering Society as a volunteer. At the time of writing this post I managed to delete my last post about BMES, which I apologise. Don't worry I will post more as time goes on. !! I Today saw me get up at around 09:30am and take a steady cycle ride into town towards "Basses Meadows". I arrived at 11:10am, Having helped David prepare his loco for service. 
After doing a few laps Dave allowed me to have a go at driving his engine. After two laps and managing to almost loose all the water out the boiler it was time to hand the controls back over to Dave and start getting some photos and videos for today's blog post. Below is a photo of Dave driving his engine. She is a scale model of a 0-4-0 tank like the one based at Didcot Railway Centre. 
"Dave driving his Polly locomotive"
At 1:30pm we started to wonder if anyone else would turn up. But sure enough at 2:00pm Geoff and his wife arrived with "Speedy", An engine I'm rather familiar with driving. I helped Geoff unload Speedy onto the steaming bay before helping him to prepare her for service. 
"Speedy's footplate"
Having helped Geoff prepare her for service, we rolled her onto the traverser and onto the running line. Before coupling her to a riding truck. With Geoff driving the first two laps I decided to ride as a passenger. After two laps with Geoff driving, we stopped at the steaming bay for water. Having stopped for water, it was time for me to have a go at driving. With Geoff riding as passenger... oh fun!! Once again with another two laps completed we stopped for water at the steaming bay.
"Geoff driving speedy"
Having taken water at the steaming bay, Geoff told me i could take Speedy solo. So with a full head of steam and a full glass of water in the boiler I eased her gently through the station before opening the regulator a slightly more in order to run through the sharp curve before coasting down the straight section. After two laps were complete solo, I stopped for water before continuing once more for two more laps. I then had to stop to allow Dave back on with his engine. I used the time to replenish the water before doing two more laps stopping half way round the circuit to allow Dave stop to regain pressure on his engine. 
"Dave's Polly Engine passing camera"
After three laps had been completed I handed the driving seat to Geoff as I went for a break to film and photo both engines in use. At 4pm Geoff and Dave decided to call it a day.... Not that I would of blamed them, the sky went rather dark as if it was going to rain... not that it did though... strangely.
I watched as both locos were blown down and packed away as I finished the day by taking two last photos from the day I'll leave towards blog post with a photo of Speedy sitting quietly waiting to be taken home with Geoff. Thanks once again to Geoff and Dave for allowing me to drive their engines. cheers all, Jake...

No comments:

Post a Comment