Tuesday, April 6, 2021

BMES: Another Work Party & Driving Turn...

Evening all... Today once again saw me back down at the Riverside Miniature Railway for the weekly work party, but also the monthly 'Steam Up' which takes place on the first Tuesday of the month from April to October. This is usually for volunteers only and a chance to test any work done to locomotives, as well as iron out any niggling problems... as well as being a chance to play trains. I woke up at around half 7 and after a quick glass of Chocolate Milkshake, I got dressed and got my stuff ready... leaving the house just after 9am, I was able to get a lift in the car into town...Unfortunately fate wasn't on mine or my mum's side today, her car had developed a strange grinding sound on the brakes and it was decided to drop it off at the garage, resulting in a call to my dad to pick us him... disaster averted, I arrived in town just after half 9 and wandered through to the Birds Bakery on Station Street, after buying myself some breakfast I carried on the short walk past the library and Meadowside Leisure centre over to the Trent Bridge and down to the Club. 
I arrived on site around 10am, just behind John and found Brian and Dave were already on site, after signing the track and trace form, we went into the club house to drop our bags off and were soon joined by Jim, Barrie and Phil. After eating my sausage sandwich I'd bought from Birds, it was time to help Barrie unload his engine, despite the lovely sunshine, it was rather cold today, unlike the weather last weekend.. this only hindered todays activities.
We were soon joined in the steaming bay by Dave who had also brought his engine Maude, a little Polly 0-4-0 trojan style tank engine. Before long both engines were in steam and were both on the track. After struggling to maintain steam due to bad coal, Barrie managed to get the Pannier to steam and completed a few laps before asking me if I wanted a go at driving. Having not driven since the middle of last year I took the controls and with the pressure on the red mark and a full ahead of steam, and Barrie sat behind, I eased the loco from a stand, just as a light snow shower began, we managed to complete a lap and stopped back under the canopy where after a brief stop to check the fire and boiler water level. Checks complete, I took the loco round a few more laps of the track before handing back to controls to Barrie who decided to come off for the day and drop the fire, soon followed by Dave on Maude. Both seemed fairly happy with the way their engines had performed.
Of course as soon as they did this.. the sun came out.... typical.. ah well.. there's always next time. Fires dropped and boilers blown down, I helped Barrie put the riding truck we had used back into the container before packing away my camera and tripod. Another end to another successful day.. Thanks again to Barrie for letting me have a go at driving... Until next time...cheers all...Jake...
Please note any views or opinions expressed in this blog are merely personal and do not in any way represent the views or opinions of any other person, group or organisation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment